You must be a registered member of ProductionCrate to post to the forum. Click here to register or login if you are already a member.

Welcome to the new forums! If you would like to contribute, click here.

Crime/horror, house...

Notifications
Clear all

Crime/horror, house on fire, meteor, snowing etc  

RSS

michael powdrill
(@michaelpowdrill)
28/02/2019 4:35 pm  

I used vfx such as embers, snow, fire, smoke atmosphere, meteor etc, and an sfx track. It's a trailer for a short film I'm working on called Ire. I'm using Corel Video Studio x10 to edit on a computer which cost £30 lol. It crashes 20+ times a day when editing, sometimes once a minute, so it means I'm editing for 18 hours a day non-stop, but it's all worth it in the end. 

I was planning to use the 4k lightning clouds too but my poor crappy computer couldn't handle them in editing - for the trailer at least. Maybe they'll make an appearance in the final film. 

Thanks btw ProductionCrate I couldn't have made this film without you. I actually set out to make a film for the sake of using some effects like a house burning down, and eventually it became the project I have now. 

Hope you all enjoy the trailer!

Synopsis is: "The darkness of the city is consuming them. They plot a murder to inherit an estate in order to escape, but sinister secrets of the past and burning anger keep them chained to this doomed urban underworld."

This topic was modified 2 years ago 2 times by michael powdrill

Topic Tags
David Blaker
(@itsdavidblaker)
Crate Crafter Admin
04/03/2019 7:14 am  

Nice! The flames in the room were done incredibly well!

I hope you can get the crashing problems sorted, it's always a fantastic feeling once you eventually upgrade to something more powerful  😀 

ReplyQuote
michael powdrill
(@michaelpowdrill)
04/03/2019 9:04 am  

Thanks so much! You have no idea how slow my computer became with all those flame layers. As soon as 1 layer becomes 2, computer speed slows down by 70%, imagine 5 layers of flames, PLUS embers, PLUS smoke - SEVERAL LAYERS OF SMOKE. Disaster. I thought about quitting the whole project many times a day haha. 

I have a dream that one day I will edit on a smooth and fast computer... Some day.....

Glad you enjoyed the trailer 😀 

ReplyQuote
David Blaker
(@itsdavidblaker)
Crate Crafter Admin
05/03/2019 2:18 am  

It sounds like you have the most patience in the world!  😀 

I noticed the YouTube video was at 4K resolution! Don't be afraid to use 720/1080p instead, the difference is almost unnoticeable and it'll render 4 times as fast!  👍 

ReplyQuote
michael powdrill
(@michaelpowdrill)
05/03/2019 3:40 am  

Good advice! Thanks a lot, I'll remember that

ReplyQuote
jeremyc8
(@jeremyc8)
09/03/2019 6:01 am  

Well done. Good use of the fire and snow elements. I have to agree with David Blaker about using 720/1080p. The resolution is still good, and let's face it, I'm not going to invest in a several thousand dollar camera to shoot 4k, and it really does ease up the computer a lot just sticking with 720/1080p. Win win!

ReplyQuote
Share: